The Project Engineer (PE) has the primary role of providing the necessary planning, organization, coordination and direction of the Project Managers to meet the profit and growth objectives of United Mechanical, Inc. The PE also provides the project management team resources to act for the company in matters pertaining to the successful progress and completion of assigned projects according to established schedules and specifications. The PE assists in the marketing and sales activities of the company, including business development, direct customer relations, estimating, bidding, pricing and project negotiations. The PE performs basic engineering for selected projects as assigned for HVAC, Plumbing and Controls with the oversight of the Chief Engineer.
Location: San Jose, CA
Reports to: Director, Project Management
- Responsible for assisting in the design of the project, verifying that the Scope of Work is adequately represented, facilitating in the construction of the project, assisting in all project scheduling and milestones, ensuring that all equipment and materials are on the job site when needed, identifying and resolving obstacles related to the project, closing out the project according to the approved schedule, and closing the job within or below the estimated budget;
- Responsible for the review of any and all construction documents for the purpose of complete familiarization of assigned projects;
- Complete and manage all RFIs, change orders, submittals, procurement logs and quotes;
- Ensure all project team members are fully informed of the information from RFIs, change orders, submittals, procurement logs and quotes;
- Plan ahead to prevent problems and resolve any emerging ones;
- Provides resources and direction to successfully manage assigned projects to:
- Ensure an acceptable profit level by completing all assigned projects within or below the estimated budget;
- Maintain a 100% on-time completion record;
- Complete all assigned projects to the satisfaction of the client;
- Work with the Project Foremen and Superintendents in providing a clean, secure and safe work environment for all personnel working on assigned projects, and a safe environment for the community;
- Assist with the market development of clients as assigned by the VP or the specific Project Manager;
- Uphold ethical standards and goodwill of United Mechanical as it pertains to assigned projects.
The Project Engineer is responsible for and performs the following duties associated with the Project Management functions of the position:
- Accept and assist with project assignments as designated by the Director of Project Management;
- Develop and maintain project schedules of assigned projects and work with the General Superintendent and Project Foremen to incorporate them in the overall company schedule;
- Frequently review the planned vs. actual project scheduling and cost to ensure these items remain under control, and take immediate action to correct the situation should problems develop;
- Prepare submittals and track the approval process;
- Monitor each job to assure that it is completed on schedule and within budget;
- Meet with and assist the Project Management Team to fully inform appropriate construction, engineering and estimating personnel of the details of each project before construction work is initiated.
- Proven working experience in construction management;
- Knowledge of HVAC & plumbing systems, building products, construction details/design and relevant rules, regulations and quality standards;
- Familiarity with construction management software packages;
- Overall strong computer skills;
- Ability to plan and see the “big picture”;
- Competent in conflict and crisis management;
- Self-motivated with excellent time and project management skills;
- Ability to work in an environment with deadlines while having to multi-task with multiple priorities;
- BS degree in construction management, architecture, engineering or related field.