The primary role of an Engineering Team Lead is to lead and supervise a team of HVAC and/or Plumbing engineers. You will plan, organize and direct an engineering team develop the initial system design concepts and continue thru the complete engineering of all aspects of a project’s design. You will provide technical support and coordinate schedules to insure timely deliveries. You will prepare and present progress to United Mechanical project management, trades personnel and external clients. You will ensure engineering quality control and consistency of documentation produced by your team.
Location: San Jose or Alameda
Reports to: Engineering Manager
- Supervise and lead a team of engineers and designers to provide HVAC and/or Plumbing system design and project planning for small and large projects to which your team is assigned
- Train and mentor engineering team
- Effectively manage your team’s time to meet project deliverables and schedules.
- Work with United Mechanical project management to provide conceptual design and assist with proposal process
- Represent United Mechanical as a design professional and interface with clients at project design meetings
- Evaluate feasibility of new equipment or modifying existing systems considering costs, available space, time limitations, energy goals, project timeline and related economic factors.
- Present design options to United Mechanical project management and architect or client for evaluation
- Conduct or review engineering calculations; load calculations, equipment selection, energy analysis, acoustics, psychrometric, controls, fixture loading, pressure loss, etc. performed by your team.
- Identify value engineering and constructability options on projects designed in-house as well as those designed by outside consultants
- Provide supervision and/or technical direction (i.e., print interpretation, design intent, construction feasibility) to engineers, crafts, and/or superintendents to insure work is completed in alignment with the project requirements.
- Provide interpretations of all external codes, regulations, and specifications. Act as a senior technical person for the assigned projects
- Work with other team leads and the engineering manager to refine current standards and develop new engineer tools for use by the department.
- Assist in defining goals and initiatives for department
- Assist with team member performance reviews
Education Requirements and Relevant Skills:
- 4-year engineering degree or equivalent combination of technical training and/or related experience
- 5 to 10 years of HVAC and /or plumbing experience for commercial and/or industrial projects
- Experience leading a team of engineers is preferred
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certificate and California Professional Engineering License are preferred
- Excellent understanding of engineering fundamentals
- Working knowledge of system types, equipment, installation standards and procedures is necessary.
- Must be fully versed in local and State building codes.
- Must be proficient in use of Trace 700 and AutoCAD Version 2016 or later.
- Revit 2018 or BIM experience is preferred
- Leadership and good communication skills
- Ability to interact and coordinate design concepts with clients, architects and other trades
- Act as the lead engineer on projects with minimal supervision
- LEED accreditation and Green Building initiatives are preferred
- Management and leadership experience are preferred
- Ability to assume responsibility, interface and communicate with others is essential.