The primary goal of a Design Engineer is to create and timely deliver on all aspects of a project’s design. A Design Engineer shall effectively and cohesively work with all team members and trade partners. The intent is to develop permit and construction documents, while simultaneously providing field support and coordination.
Location: San Jose or Alameda
Reports to: Engineering Manager
- Perform HVAC and/or Plumbing system design, and project planning for small and large projects
- Effectively manage time to meet project deliverables and schedules.
- Represent United Mechanical as a design professional at project design meetings
- Perform and document field surveys of existing site conditions and equipment.
- Present design options to United Mechanical project management and architect or client for resolution – prepare documentation (field design change requests, beyond normal scope reports, etc.), as required.
- Complete code required energy compliance documents and LEED calculations / certifications.
- Conduct engineering calculations; load calculations, equipment selection, energy analysis, acoustics, psychrometric, controls, fixture loading, pressure loss, etc.
- Create engineering drawings using latest software.
- Provide effective and efficient equipment, duct and piping layouts.
- Do all related coordination with architects, clients, consultants and both In-house and out of house trades.
- Research and resolve drawing interpretation problems, conflicts, interference, and the like.
- Provide interpretations of all external codes, regulations, and specifications.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
Education Requirements and Relevant Skills:
- Educational and experience requirements include: 4-year engineering degree or equivalent
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certificate preferred, but not required.
- Excellent understanding of engineering fundamentals
- Working knowledge of system types, equipment, installation standards and procedures is necessary.
- Ability to assume responsibility, interface and communicate with others is essential.
- Must be fully versed in local and State building codes.
- Must be proficient in use of Trace 700 and AutoCAD Version 2016 or later.
- Revit 2018 or BIM experience is preferred
Prior experience with mechanical contractor or engineering consultant preferred.